Statoil find Natural Gas Reserves off the Shore of Tanzania

Statoil and co-venturer ExxonMobil announced the results from their first drill stem test in the Tanzania Block 2 offshore discoveries. These initial results are positive, for an East African country and their economy.

This data is important to reduce technical uncertainties in a possible future Tanzania offshore and LNG development. "The ongoing appraisal programme is crucial to firm up the design and development basis for bringing bas to shore and a first phase onshore LNG project in Tanzania," Øystein Michelsen, Statoil's Tanzania country manager stated in a recent press release.

The test was performed in the Zafarani-2 well, 2400 metres underwater and approximately 80 kilometres off the coast of Southern Tanzania. "We are now working constructively with our co-venturer ExxonMobil, Blacks 1, 3 & 4 and the Tanzanian authorities to progress the plans for a joint LNG plant development."

Stratoil have operated the licence on Block 2 since 2007, on behalf of the Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC), and has a 65 per cent working interest, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Limited holding the remaining 35 per cent.