Hosted by the Department of Trade and Industry, Proudly South African and Brand SA, the awards aim to recognise South African companies that invest in both human and technical resources in various projects as well as stimulate local job creation and broader participation in the economy.
Trade and Industry Minister, Rob Davies, said the awards provided a platform for recognition of achievement in business.
"The objective of the awards is to recognise and honour local businesses that promote the spirit of success, innovation, job creation, quality and good business ethics in South Africa. They will also showcase the best that South Africa has to offer in terms of businesses, products and services," said Davies last month.
Categories included a Manufacturer Award, Exporter Award, Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises Award, Rural Development Award, Most Empowered Enterprise Award and Proudly South African Enterprise Award.
The top award for the evening, the Lifetime Achievement Award, was presented to South African entrepreneur and businessman Dr Richard Maponya, who received a standing-ovation.
The event was held in Sandton, Johannesburg, and was attended by business leaders, captains of industry and senior government ministers and officials.
Full winners list:
1. Rural Development Award: Social Change Assistance Trust (SCAT)
2. SMME Award: Malcom - Ezindaleni Hydraulics & Engineering (Pty) Ltd
3. Young Entrepreneur Award: Miss Earth South Africa
4. Women-Owned Enterprise Award: Segakweng Enterprise And Strategy Consulting
5. Quality Award: Coega Dairy
6. Technology Award: Tshwane University of Technology
7. Green Award: MTN SA
8. Media Award: Talk Radio 702/567 Cape Talk
9. Proudly South African Enterprise Award: G.U.D Holdings (Pty) Ltd
10. Most Empowered Enterprise Award: MTN SA
11. Investor Award: Nestle (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd
12. Manufacturer Award: Powertech AND Bell Equipment Company SA (Pty) Ltd
13. Exporter Award: Abagold AND Saab Grintek Defence (Pty) Ltd
14. Lifetime Achievement Award: Dr Richard Maponya
Image: © Getty
Copyright is owned by Africa Outlook and/or Outlook Publishing. All rights reserved.