DR Congo M23 rebels chased from strongholds, says UN
The Democratic Republic of Congo's M23 rebel movement is all but finished as a military threat, according to reports citing the UN's special envoy in the country.

"Practically all M23 positions were abandoned yesterday, except a for small triangle at the Rwandan border," Martin Kobler is reported to have told the UN Security Council by video-link at a closed door meeting.

On Sunday, the UN peacekeeping mission in DR Congo, Monusco, said a Tanzanian peacekeeper was killed during fighting with the M23 in the town of Kiwanja.

"The soldier died while protecting the people of Kiwanja," Monusco said in a statement.

The M23 movement emerged in April 2012 after a mutiny by former rebels who had been taken into the DR Congo army under a 2009 deal.

Peace talks between the government and M23, hosted by neighbouring Uganda, broke down last week.

Image: © Getty

Copyright is owned by Africa Outlook and/or Outlook Publishing. All rights reserved.